4 Apr 2011

Proposal

Current practice/area of interest: 
Which aspect(s) of your selected MA subject are you specifically interested in.

My interest is currently focused on combining the approaches of psychogeography with those of photography. I am fascinated by our emotional response to the environment, as individuals, especially within our city centres. This led me to the field of psychogeography. The two main strands within this are of course psychology and geography .I am especially curious about psychology, and the often hidden world of our minds and how we are affected by the structure and changing shape of our urban environment.

What I would like to achieve in the MA Programme

I envisage finding creative ways of photographing different areas of our city centres (perhaps combining these with written observations.) In particular areas which are being, or will be re-developed. I feel strongly that by experimenting with a visual representation, this can connect with our imagination, encouraging us to see the environment differently and ask questions. I am also interested in involving other other people (for example artists and other volunteers). I understand that this approach is a starting point and would look forward to attending master classes, generating debates and considering interdisciplinary links within this programme, to best help me realise this.

How I will achieve this

I tend to take my images using film (rather than digital) and am eager to experiment with this and alternative methods. I have already created cyanotypes (included here) and would envisage using, for example, albumen and lith prints, where appropriate to my work. These processes tend to take more time than with digital imaging, and realising ideas can benefit from gradual processes.

Resources

I anticipate using the darkroom, analogue cameras such as medium format and a safe space to mix chemicals such as those used to create cyanotypes or albumen prints.

Where I aim to be 5 years from now and how my MA studies would contribute to my ambition?

In the past few years I have chosen to return to study so that I can realise myself creatively; a shift away from making a money. Ideally I would like to have reachred the point where I can exhibit my work within galleries, perhaps collaborating with other artists and expanding on current ideas which will inevitably have evolved and changed. A further plan is to set up a professional studio to create portraits using predominantly traditional and alternative techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment